Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Enlightenment Test

There is a saying: "If you think you are enlightened, test it by spending a week with your parents." I spent an evening with my parents last week. But it was nothing compared to spending a day as a juror. I don't think my blood pressure has been this high since I don't know when. But when you hate people (as, I'm reminded, I've been known to say quite consistently), being sequestered with eleven other members of the general public in a room trying to come to a unanimous decision on six different issues, with people coming from every background and experience--black, white, gay, straight, rich, poor, smart, stupid, introvert, extrovert, loudmouths, quiet types, men, women--a literal cross section of Philadelphia--and disagreeing about everything...if this is a test, I am failing miserably. But I am getting boot-camp quality training in having to face the things I hate most--that is, people in general.

No comments: