Friday, March 14, 2008

Prayer for the Morning

Psalm 24: Prayer for protection and forgiveness; an alphabetical psalm


After confident protestations of innocence, e.g. in Psalm 16, this sad admission of guild is for us most cheering: at last we feel completely in sympathy with the psalmist, since most of us are uneasy with the saints. God is the teacher, the loving Guide: he goes in front of us and we watch him, and at times, he turns round to see if we are following. This psalm is, like the Confiteor, a model 'act of contrition'. It does not try to stir up an emotional sorrow: it simply states the case, admits the guilt, and asks for mercy. Can anyone before God do more? --J.G.


To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
I trust you, let me not be disappointed;
do not let my enemies triumph.
Those who hope in you shall not be disappointed,
but only those who wantonly break faith.

Lord, make me know your ways.
Lord, teach me your paths.
Make me walk in your truth, and teach me:
for you are God my saviour.

In you I hope all day long
because of your goodness, O Lord.
Remember your mercy, Lord,
and the love you have shown from of old.
Do not remember the sins of my youth.
In your love remember me.

No comments: