Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Letter to the Abbot

MASTER OF NOVICES
CHARTERHOUSE OF THE TRANSFIGURATION
CARTHUSIAN MONASTERY
1084 AVE MARIA WAY
ARLINGTON, VERMONT 05250 USA



1 July, 2008


Reverend Father,

I eschew the temptation to compose a long letter in favor of stating my purpose for writing outright. Through prayer and reflection, I have come to feel that God is calling me to the Carthusian way of life. While I have been discerning monastic life for almost ten years, and have visited many monasteries in the Benedictine, Cistercian, and Capuchin orders, I have no experience in the eremetic life and desire to 'come and see,' as our Lord invited those who wished to follow him.

While I have been moving towards a simpler, less encumbered life, I still realize there is much I am holding on to. I lack discipline. I am attached to freedom. I take to heart the Lord's words: 'anyone who puts their hand to the plough and looks back is not worthy of the Kingdom of Heaven," and "if you wish to be whole, sell all you have and come follow me,' and as they did to St. Antony, they have affected me strongly. I understand their challenges, and I accept them with fear and trembling.

I know there is no lasting happiness
that is to be found in this life that will satisfy me, and I beg to be shown a different way. And so I write to humbly ask acceptance as an Observer for the month of August; I have to be back in Pennsylvania for the start of the semester on the 25th (I am a graduate student in theology a Villanova University). I am 28 years old, and have never been married.

I have complete trust that if it is the Lord's will that I should go to Transfiguration for this period of observation and discernment, this letter will find its way safely to you and you will deem it worthy for consideration. If it is not God's will, then I am sure that will make itself known through your refusal. Either way, I just want to be happy, and I know the only way to make that happen is to follow the path God has laid out for me.



In Xto,

Rob Marco
Philadelphia, PA

+

No comments: