Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Rules of Disengagement

I am steadily untangling myself from five years worth of accumulated 'stuff'. It is exhausting and trying but like letting go of your vices, I think it will be worth it in the end. I need to make some big trips to the Salvation Army, the scrapyard, and the dump in the next couple weeks.

The majority of 'stuff' is leftover from various projects that were started at one time or another, many while I was in a state of mania. During those times it was not uncommon to have four, five, or six intensive projects going on at one time. When you inevitably crash, they remain in an unfinished state. It would probably serve me well to resist the urge to start a new project before I have finished the old one. That way things may be more manageable; a recipe for sanity.

1 comment:

Michelle's Spell said...

Hey Rob,

I did this recently as well! I went through my basement (symbolic for the past) and managed to dump about thirty six huge bags of garbage and Salvation Army stuff. I did some decluttering for my sister and am doing it for my best friend as a wedding gift. I really love it -- the whole physical/emotional aspect and am thinking of doing it for a job if I make it through with my best friend. She's got so much stuff that she makes me look like a dude with one bowl! Good luck with this project -- you'll feel so much lighter once it is done (if my experience is any indicator).