Friday, October 24, 2008

Hermitage Update

The hermitage is now residing in Germantown. I have decided this is a better place since the lot it is in is right behind Chris' house. The lot in Fairmount was a tempting offer, but I feel better about having Ole Green close by. I am grateful for a lot at all.

I spent the afternoon cleaning up inside the bus. I got the sink set and the sand filter in place underneath the countertop. The 3 foot tall carbon/sand-filter urinal is all set to be peed in as well, which makes the place feel much more habitable.

I tested the solar panel a couple days ago; it was reading 15 volts in indirect light, which I was happy with. The sun is partially blocked by the house, though it does get a few hours of direct light each day. I don't know if that will be enough for my needs, since I am hoping to use the electric heater and burner to offset the propane use. At this point in the season, the panel will have to be angled at aproximately 65 degrees. My hope was to not have it visible from the roof of the bus, but at that angle, it will definately be noticeable. In the neighborhood I am in, I'm not sure that would be a great idea.

The less environmentally sustainable option would be to bring the smaller 60ah pack in the house to charge. This pack should be able to supply electricity for the three days out of the week I am planning to be in it: one meal on the electric burner and one hour of electric heat per day.

I would like to start the Thursday-Friday-Saturday retreat schedule next week. Really, though, I feel more like ten year old in an adult's body, getting excited to camp out in the backyard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you know that someone out here is reading this thing and admires your integrity, passion, courage, and honesty. i can relate to your struggle to find the "right" way to live and the perils one encounters when choosing a different path. and your desire to live your truth.