Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Fat Albert

I found the following article on weight gain as a side effect of Zyprexa. After putting on 30 lbs. in less than a month the claim that the drug causes "substantial weight gain" has been substantiated in my mind. I would like to switch to Abilify but it is very expensive and until I can get samples I will continue taking the Zyprexa.

So I have decided for the first time in my life (besides my days trying to make weight for wrestling in high school) to start dieting. I don't know if it will stick or not, but I will try to eat a healthy and modest breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with no snacking in between. This fasting will be a very difficult discipline, with my appetite out of control (it seems that Zyprexa affects the enzyme that regulates eating "behavior," which is probably responsible for this).

Zyprexa: Study Finds Reason for Weight Gain

According to a recent report, the drug increases the activity of an enzyme called AMPK in cells in the part of the brain that regulates eating behavior. AMPK is shorthand for the AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK). The cells that make up our bodies need a constant supply of energy to function. AMPK is key in regulating cellular energy, and serves as a gas gauge by sensing how much energy a cell has.

The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

AMPK's increase was because the antipsychotic drugs were interfering with the important protein histamine.

No comments: