Thursday, December 18, 2008

I was in prison...

Christopher Carter
#ES-3597
SCI Smithfield
Huntingdon, PA

18 Dec 2008


Dear Chris,

Thanks for your letter. I recently got hit by a car and broke my hand and collarbone so I can’t type much so forgive me for that.

Do know St Paul was in prison? He suffered there. He said it is a good thing to suffer when you have done no wrong. Prison can be just or unjust but it sounds like for you it is just punishment; that is, you did wrong, committed a crime, and now the state is making you pay for it. You must accept this but know that no man is bound to his past. Whatever you did, good or bad, it is over and done. This day commit yourself to the Lord and endure your suffering knowing this, like all things, will come to an end.

I have been blessed with a loving family and good childhood, but that is not the case with everyone, including you. But remember those who are most forsaken by men are loved the more by God.

Do you know how I pray? The Psalmist says: “ponder on your bed and be still.” This is what I do. It is listening for God, rather than running my mouth (which is fine also).It is written: “Speak Lord, your servant is listening.” And Samuel heard God’s call and responded: “Here I am!” God speaks very silently. Lie on you bed and follow your breath. Quiet your insides. You are surrounded by walls but you are free. There is nothing keeping you from God but yourself and your sin. You are blessed!

I will end here. You are in my thoughts and prayers this Christmas. Remember...you hold the key to your freedom.

2 comments:

Lindsay Rae said...

My sister and I are asking for prayers from all of our friends, please please pray for her and for our family.
peace and grace,
Lindsay


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Morgan Myers
Date: Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 11:52 AM
Subject: Prayers for my Grandmother


Hi all. You know I love me some mass e-mails, but this is a somewhat somber one. My grandmother has not been well, she appears to have some early symptoms of dementia, and my family right now is struggling to make decisions about how to best care for her, while coping with seeing her so not herself. This is a hard time for us and we are trying to trust in God's providence.

To that end, my grandmother read Fr. Walter Ciszek's book "He Leadeth Me" over the summer and really was moved by his story, he was a Jesuit missionary to Russia and spent time as a captive in Siberia for over twenty years, trying to trust that this was God's plan for his life. She bought copies for everyone in our family as well as our parish priest. The other day, while in the hospital, she asked me if I thought there was anyway Fr. Ciszek could have known while he was going through this that his story would be an inspiration, or if he had any idea he would even live to tell it, and we discussed how God glorifies himself through our lives even when we can't see it. Right now it is very difficult to see how my grandmother, who is now irrationally fearful and depressed, is glorifying God, and yet we trust that God will sue this situation to reveal himself more fully.

Fr. Ciszek is currently a candidate for canonization (you can find out more about him and his life at www.ciszek.org) and a friend suggested we pray for his intercession since my grandmother was so moved by him and his faithfulness. I would really appreciate your taking the time to pray with my family for his intercession:

Almighty God, we love, adore and praise You as our Creator and Loving Father. Look with compassion and mercy upon us. Hear our prayer in this time of special need and through the intercession of Father Walter Ciszek, grant the following favor if it is Your Holy Will.


(Mention the Request)

Most loving God, accept our gratitude for hearing this prayer. May the knowledge of the virtues and holiness of Father Walter be recognized and known to provide a lasting example to draw sinners to reconciliation and to lead souls to sanctity.

For You are our God and we are Your people and we glorify You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and ever and forever. Amen.


Thanks,

Morgan

Lindsay Rae said...

p.s. i didn't have your email