Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Of Love of Solitude and Silence

"As often as I have been among worldly company, I have left it with less fervor of spirit than I had when I came. The world passes away with all its concupiscence and deceitful pleasures. Your sensual appetite moves you to go abroad, but when the time is past, what do you bring home but remorse of conscience and disquiet of heart? It is often seen that after a joyful going forth a mournful returning follows, and that a glad eventide causes a mournful morning. So all earthly joy begins pleasantly, but at the end it gnaws and kills." --Thomas a Kempis

1 comment:

reginaterrae said...

Mm hmm. Not just sensual appetite moves me to go abroad, but sometimes it's the guilty sense that I am too much a recluse and should nurture my social relationships. I LIKE being a recluse ... until I feel lonely or need a hand, and haven't invested the time in any friendships that I could call on.